Librarian Survey!

Friday, October 7, 2011  By  Robin     13 Comments

We’re doing a quick survey here at No Flying No Tights to gather basic information about libraries, their graphic novel collections, and how their collections are set up in terms of age range.  The survey should take about five minutes, so please help us out!

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey, the world’s leading questionnaire tool.

Categories —

13 Comments

1.   October 11, 2011, 1:02 pm

We have graphic novels for all ages at our library as well as a couple of magazine subscriptions. They are pretty popular. I like to read them myself.

2.   October 10, 2011, 2:52 pm

When we buy manga titles, we normally start with the first 3 or 4 in the series and see how well they circ. If they circ well we commit to the rest of the series, if not, we just have the first 4.

•   October 12, 2011, 10:27 am

We do the same; I usually buy 3-5 volumes of a series to “test the waters” and then if I have even one person ask me when more is coming in, I order more (if they’re available already). I try VERY hard to order what I specifically get asked for, though I have declined to buy one or two mature series when asked by younger teens.

3.   October 10, 2011, 2:08 pm

In the teen collection, for series, we keep about the first ten only. Just curious if anyone else does that.

•   October 10, 2011, 2:24 pm

Is this for superhero series or manga series or both? I ask because, in my experience, superhero volumes can more readily stand alone whereas manga makes little to no sense without the continuing volumes.

In my library, FYI, if we commit to buying a series, we buy the whole series. I am lucky, though, in having a very supportive library in terms of space and budget.

4.   October 10, 2011, 10:43 am

We have very limited collections of graphic novels mainly because we don’t have as many readers interested in them as we do in other material.

•   October 10, 2011, 2:23 pm

Kathy I have a question concerning this point, as I see a lot of people saying it. How do you KNOW here’s no interest? Is it that the ones you have don’t circulate? And do you think that’s because people aren’t interested or (as was true in my library when we started) people just don’t know you even collect graphic novels?

I ask because I’ve noticed anecdotally that libraries that don’t have a separate section, or don’t advertise their collection, report they have less interest. I wonder if that means instead those readers who would be interested aren’t finding the books, but I don’t want to presume that.

5.   October 8, 2011, 4:03 pm

I really like to check your site before I purchase Graphic Novels and Manga.

•   October 8, 2011, 11:03 pm

I’m glad to hear it, Christine! Let me know if there are any titles you need input on that you don’t see. 🙂

6.   October 8, 2011, 11:17 am

Robin – I’m responding for the Free Library of Philadelphia, since I don’t think anybody else from the FLP is likely to see this survey. I’m a volunteer there rather than a regular employee.

•   October 8, 2011, 3:14 pm

Thanks Martha! It certainly counts if we’re getting the basic info. 🙂

7.   October 8, 2011, 9:19 am

Would love to have more manga series, but expensive for libraries on limited budgets.

•   October 8, 2011, 3:13 pm

Denise, I certainly understand the limits of buying long series with limited funding. I’ve also edited the survey to include budgets & funding as a limitation so folks can mark that down (and I’ve gone back and edited the earlier responses that didn’t have that option to make sure their comments on budgeting counts!).

How do you purchase manga series now? Standing orders? A few at a time? Stand alone titles (not that there are as many…)?